Whether about to confront the morning rush hour or ready to embark on a long hike, a good travel mug is a worthwhile investment. These can be large enough to be used as a water bottle or be small enough for your favourite coffee shop takeaway.
Not only should it be leakproof, but it should also match your style. Fashionable or retro, those choices can be met.
Your activities can place high demands on your travel mug. A strong cup of coffee is ideal to get you geed up for that big morning meeting. Preferably contained in a well-insulated mug and not spilt all over a fellow commuter.
Nor should it be scolding your hands as you try to keep your bag on your shoulder.
The best travel mugs will keep your beverage at the desired temperature for hours yet, more importantly, prevent it from leaking. You also want to ensure that you can only taste your drink and that it is not compromised by the container itself.
From a tea hook to a reservoir spout, a travel mug can enhance the enjoyment of your beverage just how you want it.
Best For Large Capacity With Grip – Contigo Byron Travel Mug
Let’s start off big. The Contigo Byron Travel Mug comes with a whopping 590ml capacity which is more than enough for a large morning coffee. You could even use the mug for your lunchtime soup as it can keep beverages hot for seven hours.
Contigo’s SnapSeal technology means a one-handed mechanism that makes drinking on the go a doddle. Just push the lever up for a drink then push it down to seal shut.
The travel mug should excel on public transport but also in the car as it is designed to snugly fit most cup holders. A rugged grip is easy to hold and won’t slip out of your hand when you are juggling everything else, a feature we enjoyed in our experience with this product.
Being dishwasher safe makes for easy cleaning with a one-piece lid that opens up.
- 590ml Capacity – Enough for two single-serve coffees or a very large one
- SnapSeal Technology – Simply push the level up to take a sip then push down to close
- Easy To Grip – Ideal for those who need their beverage ready while on the go
- Perhaps Too Large – The container may rattle with your beverage due to the huge capacity
- SEAL IT IN: Leak-proof lid (when closed) for on-the-go convenience
Best For A Classic Design – Thermos 101834 Stainless King Travel Mug 470 ml
For a large-sized beverage, go for a classic design. When you think of beverage containers that stand the test of time, you should be thinking of Thermos. The brand offers a five-year guarantee on these Thermos because they trust in their reliable construction.
Rightly so, with vacuum insulation technology that will keep your beverage hot for five hours, and cold for up to nine hours.
That technology not only keeps your beverage at the right temperature but keeps the Thermos travel mug cool to the touch. Little chance of condensation developing for icy cold drinks either, which we enjoyed in our testing.
If you like your tea to get a proper brew while on the move then use the built-in tea hook. Ideal for quick removal of the teabag once you have the shade you want. For such a classic design, you may be tempted to jazz it up with your favourite colour too, you have six to choose from.
- Temperature Retention – Should keep your beverage hot for up to five hours and cold for up to nine hours
- Vacuum-Insulated Stainless Steel Wall – Retains the heat while keeping the container cool to the touch
- Variety Of Colours – Choose from Black, Blue, Copper, Red, Raspberry, or Gun Metal
- Drinklock Sealing Lid – Leakproof from a lid that keeps your beverage contained
- Built-in Tea Hook – No more fishing your teabag out from the bottom of your travel mug
- Lack Of Cooling Down – Perhaps the travel mug works too well as several users noted that their beverage failed to cool down at all
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention; keeps hot for 5 hours and cold for 9 hours
Best For Short Commutes – Oxo Good Grips Single Serve LiquiSeal Travel Mug
For a company that specialises in everyday cooking items and containers, you should be assured they know how to make travel mugs too.
Oxo’s engineering expertise is there to be seen and enjoyed with their Good Grips Single Serve LiquiSeal Travel Mug. Some may find the size a little limiting, yet for many 260ml may be just right.
Should your commute be short enough, you should be ready for your next beverage as soon as you arrive. That is largely due to a one-hand mechanism which means you can open and close the mug while having the other hand free.
All with a reassuring click and a non-slip grip which we enjoyed in our experience of this product. Even if you are not carrying it, three silicone seals mean you can leave it in your bag without fear of leaking.
Do not worry about dropping it either, the double-wall construction makes this travel mug shatter resistant.
- Ideal Size – 260ml could be the ideal size for your beverage
- One-Hand Click – Open and seal the mug shut with a single hand
- Three Silicone Seals – Spillproof from three silicone seals in the lid
- Non-Slip Grip – Fits comfortably in the hand and will not slip easily
- Shatter Resistant – Durable design from a double-wall construction means you can drop it without worrying
- Heat Leaking – While the liquid will stay in the container, the heat may escape making this ideal for short commutes
- One-handed operation: The drinking valve can be opened and closed with one click
Best For Stylish Design – S’well Vacuum Insulated Travel Mug
Your travel mug should be an extension of your style. Just like the bag you are carrying and the shoes you are wearing, the travel mug in your hand should look good. Few containers look as good as a S’well Vacuum Insulated Travel Mug.
With several stylish designs to choose from, you could easily find the one to augment your fashion sense. The contemporary design includes an ergonomic, curved design which we liked in our testing.
This is also one of the few travel mugs with a wide enough mouth to throw in some ice cubes. Whether you prefer a steamy hot brew or a freshly made iced coffee, your beverages will keep at their desired temperature.
For cold drinks, that is a staggering 24 hours and for hot drinks that remains a hugely impressive 12 hours.
- Stylish Designs – From bold Pink Topaz to Teakwood and Blue Granite amongst others, these designs look great
- Wide Mouth – Not only can you gulp your drink easily, but ice cubes will easily fit too
- Ergonomic Shape – The curved design is ideal to hold and tilt
- BPA-Free – A contemporary design that also comes without BPA which is an organic compound commonplace amongst drinks containers
- Price Tag – Such a stylish design comes at a cost
Best For Autoseal Technology – Contigo Autoseal West Loop Stainless Steel Travel Mug
The sleek shape of the Contigo Autoseal West Loop Stainless Steel Travel Mug really does stand out. Those curves with the shiny stainless steel finish are great to hold with a reliably assured design. Then there is the performance which we liked in our testing.
For one, you only need a single hand to operate the mug. Easy to hold and, with your thumb, you only need to press the button to take a sip.
That Autoseal Technology stands out, as does the fact there are only two pieces. A tight screwable lid and the container itself mean easy cleaning. No chance of losing any loose parts either.
At a capacity of 470ml, this works well for a long commute or even as a water bottle as it will keep cold for twelve hours.
- Autoseal Technology – Press the button to drink and release it to seal in the beverage
- One-Handed Operation – Great for taking a sip of your hot beverage while on the move
- Car Cup Holder Compatibility – Should fit most car cup holders and not spill in a moving vehicle
- One Piece Lid – Don’t worry about losing any loose parts, the lid is a single piece that can be cleaned easily
- Larger Capacity – At 470ml, this should be suited for longer trips or simply as a water bottle
- Small Opening – You may need to screw open the lid for a proper gulp
- Our Lids Are Sealed – AUTOSEAL technology is leak and spill proof (Yes there is a difference!)
Best For A Compact Design – Corkcicle Tumbler
Travel mugs are no longer simply for transporting your beverage. They can make a statement all of their own. The Corkcicle Tumbler simply looks great, from the patented flat sides to the gorgeous colours.
Practical too with a 355ml capacity that covers most regular-sized coffee takeaways.
You can also keep an eye on your drink with a transparent lid. Not only is that shatterproof but keeps the air and liquid contained. When you arrive at your destination, a non-slip silicone base is confidently sturdy which we enjoyed in our testing.
You would expect that from a travel mug that is easy to hold and works for you.
- 355ml Capacity – Perfect for that larger single-serve takeaway beverage
- Silicone Bottom – Reliably sturdy on a flat surface with a stay-put, non-slip silicone bottom
- Triple Insulated – The vacuum technology keeps drinks hot for three hours, and cold for nine hours
- Shatterproof Lid – Maximum temperature retention from a transparent lid that keeps air and liquid in
- Fashionable Designs – The tumbler makes a statement with a glossy finish and appealing shades of Rose Quartz and Turquoise amongst others
- Not Dishwasher Safe – You may grow tired of having to handwash this travel mug after each use
- TRIPLE INSULATED VACUUM TECHNOLOGY – Sip in style with the travel cup that just won’t quit. This triple-walled design stainless steel tumbler keeps drinks hot for 3 hours or cold for 9 hours. The thermos mug is great for a quick coffee, tea or any drink
Best For Outdoor Use – Stanley Classic Trigger-Action Travel Mug
For any adventure, you want a design that will not let you down. In travel mugs, look no further than the Stanley Classic Trigger-Action Travel Mug. Then consider the lifetime warranty and you know you are buying quality.
Stanley has been making vacuum flasks since 1913 and it shows in this travel mug.
With double-wall vacuum insulation, push-button lid, and 18/8 BPA-free stainless steel construction, this is a durable design. Considering the classic, retro design you may be pleasantly surprised that this is also dishwasher safe.
Certainly, the travel mug is ideal for a long hike and a big adventure. From the packable design to the performance. Cold drinks will remain so for ten hours while hot drinks can keep for seven. For a warm day, you can also enjoy an iced drink for 30 hours which we liked in our testing.
- Durable Design – An 18/8 stainless steel construction makes the travel mug highly resistant to corrosion and oxidation
- Push-Button Lid – Enjoy your drink while keeping the other hand free which is ideal while hiking
- 30 Hours Iced – To keep you cool on a hot day, enjoy an iced drink for a full 30 hours
- Easily Packable – The solid, durable design makes this easy to pack away in a rucksack
- Lifetime Warranty – Stanley are so confident about their products that this one comes built for life
- Loose Part – Some users have noted that a part can come loose while cleaning
- PERFECT TRAVEL MUG: The Stanley Trigger Action Coffee Travel Mug is designed to fit in most cup holders; The double-wall vacuum insulation keeps your favourite drinks hot for up to 7 hours; Your drink can also stay cold for up 30 hours with ice
Best For Stability – Mighty Mug Go – The Travel Mug That Won’t Fall Over
Many have tried, and many have failed to accidentally knock over the Mighty Mug. If you are known for being a bit of a clutz at your desk then fear no more. Having a leakproof travel mug is one thing, having one that refuses to fall over is another.
Smart grip technology makes this mug work on any smooth, flat surface. With a suction-style base, the mug will only release when you lift it upward above its wavy line. Great for adventures or simply using in the car or on bumpy public transport.
Few designs are this thoughtful. A 360° Drinking Lid makes taking a sip almost second nature, you only need to unlock the lid with a simple one-touch button. This was a feature we enjoyed in our experience with this product.
Alas, for all that promising design several travel mugs have better, and longer, heat retention.
- Unspillable – Proudly claims to be a travel mug that will not fall over when accidentally knocked by using Smart grip technology
- 470ml Capacity – Large enough for a takeaway coffee or used as a water bottle
- 360° Drinking Lid – Unlock the lid with a one-touch button and enjoy your drink from anywhere on the lid
- Lacklustre Heat Retention – Several travel mugs will keep your beverage hot or cold for longer
- Mighty Mug GO Travel Mug – Charcoal
The best travel mugs in the UK come with a variety of functions. Importantly, they should be leakproof to keep your hot drink contained and so you do not need to worry about spills. That one feature can be achieved in numerous designs.
These include lockable and shatterproof lids as well as easy-to-use one-handed mechanisms.
Ideally, you should be able to enjoy your drink on the move while also using your travel mug as an extension of your style. Various manufacturers have gone further than the typical rudimentary colours for contemporary designs.
Your travel mug should look good in your hand yet also feel great. That is largely why most travel mugs come with a grip to ensure that your drink stays right in your hand.
If you desire a travel mug that you can rely on for the morning commute then there are inexpensive options. However, the bigger the capacity, the more you should be expected to pay.
For outdoor adventures, look for a more durable design that can take a knock and won’t leak in your backpack. In a travel mug, you should be looking for spill protection, heat retention and a formidable design.
The range of travel mugs can cover a coffee-shop takeaway to a larger, more retro flask design that is more suited to the soup. They can come in a range of different capacities with practical constructions that suit your needs.
From preparing for an adventure to ensuring you no longer need to queue at a coffee shop. Their designs can be fashionable and save you money in the long term. As a reusable option, these are better for the environment so you should invest wisely.
Not only is the material important, but how it is used. Stainless steel can be a preferred choice yet without the right insulation it can go beyond keeping just your beverage hot. You solely desire the beverage to be steaming, not for your hands to be scolding.
While you should look out for stainless steel, this should come with a double wall of insulation, perhaps even triple. Ideally vacuum-insulated to keep the beverage hot but for that heat to be properly contained.
The travel mug should be easy to grip with a shatterproof lid. That may limit your options to the higher end of pricing yet if you cannot justify the outlay then ensure the mug is double-walled. Not only will this protect your hands but helps for heat retention too.
The lids tend to be made of BPA-free plastic as this is one material that can be made transparently.
Due to the effort of buying a travel mug to look out for the environment, you should also insist on it is BPA-free. This essentially means a product that does not use Bisphenol A in its construction.
Many drinks containers have used this organic compound in their design in the past, yet research has found that the substance can seep into beverages. This is a big concern as there are feasible hazards and health effects on the brain.
There have also been possible links made between BPA and cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes and increased blood pressure.
The travel mug should be labelled, so you know exactly what it may contain. If it does not proudly claim to be BPA-free then you should probably steer clear, especially if you have children.
That’s because, not only is the organic compound harmful to adults, there are concerning links to the health effects of children too. Primarily to the prostate gland, even foetuses and infants can be affected.
As well as being safe, the travel mug should also be easy to clean. Practical designs can include a one-piece lid that removes easily and can be washed on the top shelf of a dishwasher. Any loose parts are generally troublesome to clean and easy to lose.
Stainless steel is particularly good at taking knocks but also easy to rinse daily.
The measure of the insulation provided by your travel mug is in how long it can keep your beverage at the desired temperature. A travel mug should boast about its heat retention and insulation to maintain the temperature of your drink for longer, depending on the design.
This should matter if you are using your travel mug for long durations. Especially for hikes where you could want a steaming hot beverage to warm you up a few hours into an adventure.
For a morning commute, your travel mug may only need to provide an hour or so of insulation. That will cover you from when you prepare your hot drink as you leave to when you arrive at your destination.
You may also want to consider how long it keeps cold drinks chilled. Certainly, if you want to use the travel mug as a water bottle you may prefer it at the desired temperature rather than lukewarm.
Do not forget about iced drinks, especially in summer. As these are kept colder, you should expect your beverage to keep chilled for at least ten hours. A lot of commuters now prefer cold brews so aim for a wide lid to fit in sizable ice cubes.
Whether for a refreshing sip on the way to work or icy refreshment on a hot day, it should stay chilled.
The size of your travel mug has a lot to do with how big a beverage you want contained. That may sound obvious yet if simply want a travel mug for the commute then a 360ml size is likely enough.
To put that into perspective, 350ml is the standard mug size though travel mugs can come in a 470ml size too. If you wanted to go even bigger, a large-size coffee is typically around 550ml and you can find a travel mug to accommodate that.
A travel mug that goes any bigger than that and you are likely to be taking coffee for a large hike. In those cases, you can expect it to be hot for a couple of well-deserved breaks. If it is a large capacity you are after you may want to use it simply for water to ensure you remain hydrated.
If you are getting daily use out of your travel mug then it should be dishwasher-safe. Including it alongside your dirty dishes means that you know where it will be and that it will be ready for you in the morning.
This is also helped by the design, some travel mugs excel at Autoseal technology which may prove difficult to thoroughly clean. If the opening is reliably strengthened it can gather bacteria if it isn’t washed properly.
You should be able to find a travel mug with a one-piece lid that does not have any loose pieces. After all that, you may simply want to handwash your travel mug to ensure it remains fresh and ready for use.
Being able to hold onto your travel mug can make a crucial difference. The manufacturer may claim that the container is shatterproof, yet you do not want to test that out.
A suitable grip can come from an ergonomic shape that fits your hand so it does not feel out of place. Effectively, it should not feel like an effort to grip the travel mug, it simply fits your hand.
The more popular method for a grip is to make it non-slip using a rubberised texture. These grips tend to mould to your hand so they feel quite safe in your hand. If you tend to take a sip on the move then you may prefer the textured option.
For a durable design, you should consider the more renowned manufacturers. Companies such as Stanley and Thermos have been making drinks containers for decades. Their designs are usually more rugged yet come with an extended warranty.
Having a rust-proof, corrosion-resistant design is one to look out for and to invest in. The range of designs may be limited to a few basic colours, but that’s fine for many. They may be retro, they may not be wholly fashionable, yet that industrial chic means that the travel mug will last.
Your travel mug needs to be lockable and leakproof, if not it cannot claim to be fit for travel. Having that confidence of your hot drink not spilling onto your hands can mean being able to concentrate on something else.
Perhaps enjoying the scenery of your hike or morning commute, maintaining a conversation or checking over your child.
Autoseal technology frequently means a mechanism for an easy release of your drink. This is typically in the form of a button you can press or a lever you can pull. The liquid should only be released once the button or lever is pressed.
When released, the container should seal shut so none of your precious beverage can escape. These are far more advanced and easier than a screwable lid. If you are wanting that added peace of mind then Contigo mugs are usually the go-to manufacturer for an Autoseal button.
Due to the cost of the technology, you may find that the more sturdy designs tend to cost more. They are more suited to larger containers too as you can finish a single-serve coffee quicker.
If you are continuing to use a fiddly design you are more likely to get annoyed with a larger serving. Some fiddly lids can claim to be lockable and leakproof yet due to the effort of releasing your drink you may end up keeping it open.
That would defeat the notion of a travel mug and mean your drink fails to retain its desired temperature.
Having a lockable lid can also mean that you may not have to carry your drink in your hand. For a longer journey on public transport, a travel mug can be locked and loaded into the bottom of your bag.
With it being completely leakproof and proficient in heat retention, it should remain hot when you arrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Materials Is A Travel Mug Constructed Of?
You can find travel mugs that use a variety of materials to ensure that they remain leak-proof. The best material to use is likely to be stainless steel as when it is double-walled it can keep beverages hot or cold for hours.
You can also find aluminium and plastic used in the construction of certain travel mugs.
What Is The Key Difference Between A Tumbler And A Travel Mug?
Both tumblers and travel mugs excel at keeping your beverages at the correct temperature while on the move. The key difference between the two is the handle or lack thereof. A travel mug can come with or without a handle but a tumbler never has one.
Which Design Features Make A Travel Mug Leak Proof?
The first design feature to look out for is double-walled stainless steel construction. You can also lookout for an Autoseal button and a lockable lid which are ideal features for a truly leak-proof travel mug.
Last update on 2023-11-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API